Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Peanut Butter Cookies

Who needs pre-fab, nasty, recalled peanut butter crackers? Some recipes are timeless, and is wasn't until a friend of mine, who is making tons of them for his wedding reception (any day now, tick tick tick!), that I even thought of them. Right now the house smells just delicious, so I thought I'd share.

This recipe is straight out of my treasured second edition Joy of Cooking. Which, of course, I can't find a copy of anywhere to link. I did find this facsimile edition of the original Joy of Cooking, though!
Peanut Butter Cookies
1/2 c butter or shortening
1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 to 1 1/2c flour

Preheat oven to 375F. Beat the butter until soft. Gradually add both sugars and blend until creamy. Beat in all remaining ingredients except flour. Add flour, using the larger amount if your peanut butter is oily.

Roll the dough into small balls. Place them on a greased cookie sheet and press flat with a fork dipped in flour, making a criss-cross pattern. Base for 10 to 12 minutes.
Margarine works fine, and I prefer the flavor with butter or margarine. I wisk all the dry ingredients together first. But it's that easy.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails