Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Product Review: Johnsonville Original Bratwurst Patties

So, I got had a buy-one-get-one coupon for Johnsonville Original Bratwurst Patties.  I didn't think I'd get to use it because this is a really new product and the awesome BOGO coupons usually expire before the products get to Fairbanks.  Imagine my surprise when I found them at Walmart!  They were $8.32 a box, which was six patties (two pounds).  A little expensive for our everyday budget but a nice price for a specialty premium meat.

The first thing I notice is they are 350 calories and 28 grams of fat each: this is not diet food.  The second thing I notice is they are almost as thick as a regular bratwurst.  As the grill was low on gas Hubby did them on my griddle.  Following instructions resulted in a perfectly cooked patty.  We served them with sauteed peppers, onions and mushrooms on Orowheat Whole Wheat Sandwhich Thins.  With mustard, of course.  Let's have some pictures.

Brat patties on the griddle.

Dinner is served!

Doesn't that look delicious?
Final Review of Johnsonville Original Bratwurst Patties:  HOLY COW this is some serious cave-dwelling he-man carnivore food! The patties are probably 3/4 of an inch thick and taste, well, just like a Johnsonville Brat.  I'm reminded of Stephen King's story "The Stand" (the novella, not the movie) and the boys making "cowboy drumsticks" by molding burger around sticks.  Absolutely delicious.  Now, if I had my druthers I'd like to see a thinner "petite" version, because it was probably as much meat as three brats. However I'm of the minority opinion on size:  Hubby ate two, Kiddo had one and a half, and picky eater Junior ate all but a bite of his.  If you like brats and grilling I would totally give these a try. 

As I write this on July 31 the BOGO coupon is still available online.  I don't know how long it will be there, but you can try...  click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, I bought them. I can't wait to use them in soup! Caveman meat!

Sis

Related Posts with Thumbnails