Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pigs in a Blanket

Since it's the first weekend of summer vacation I thought I'd make something special for breakfast:  Pigs in a Blanket.  I should mention that this is the American breakfast version; there's a croissant-dough-wrapped lunch version and apparently the British version is bacon wrapped sausage.  This one is pancakes and sausage, and very easy.

I really cheated, with pancake mix and heat-and-serve sausage.  6:30 is just too early to make anything complex.  You'll need two or three sausages per person for most folks and a similar number of pancakes.  I used a single batch of Golden's Malted Pancake Mix.  Make the pancake batter a little thin, as cakes from a thick, cakey batter will break when you wrap it around the sausage. I made a single batch of pancakes but added an extra 1/4 cup of water.

Heat the sausages according to package directions.  If you're not serving these right off the griddle, warm the oven up to hold them (200°F will do).  As the pancakes come off the griddle let them cool slightly and then roll a sausage up in them.  Lay them in a pan, seam side down, snuggled together.  Cover them with a tea towel and put them in the oven to keep them warm.
 

My kids eat them right out of the pan, but you might enjoy dipping them in syrup.  Tasty! If you're watching your calories like us, this particular batch worked out to 110 calories per pig, which isn't bad at all for a yummy breakfast treat.

Junior says I have to add Kiddo's picture too, so here you are:


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails