Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

I was cleaning out my pantry yesterday.  I have to do it now and then, and look at the weath of canned goods getting dusty and the odd baking ingredients I don't use often.  What I discovered is that I once again, thanks to TEFAP, have a wealth of applesauce and oatmeal.  They also gave us a gallon of frozen blueberries.  It seemed like muffin time to me!

I looked at several recipes and in the end combined one from Recipezaar and one from Joy the Baker. These are whole grain, low fat, and quite tasty.  Recipezaar's includes a tasty crumble topping that I didn't use, because these will be frozen for preschool snacks this fall.  Joy's incorporated the blueberries.  I also doubled the recipe, as those little kids can eat a lot of muffins!
Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

1 1/2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned)
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg white

Heat oven to 400. Line 12 medium muffin tins with papercups.

Combine oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Add applesauce, milk, brown sugar, oil and egg white. Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Add blueberries and mix only until distributed.  Fill muffin cups almost full.

Bake 20-22 minutes until deep golden brown.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails