Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Big Day

I was showing Kiddo President Obama this morning, being sworn in, and tried to explain in 5 year-old terms the historical importance.

Me, I'm on the fence about the new administration. Like most Americans, I agree we need change. Some of President Obama's ideas an positions bother me. I'm a bit... nervous about the direction he could take our country. But I know that all change is a little scary, and darn it, something has to shift somewhere. I think our government has become hopelessly mired in itself and needs a good housekeeping.

I'm keeping an open mind.

So I'm telling Kiddo "That's the man we just voted to run our whole country." Kiddo says, "I want to write him a letter so he knows my name!"

I am actually a little stunned. What a lovely simple request. "Sure," I said. So after school at homework time Kiddo wrote a note to President Obama, and we mailed it.

Who knows, maybe we'll even get a note back!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails