Monday, March 10, 2014

Faux Black Forest Cake

For his birthday this year Jack Jr wanted a Black Forest cake. He saw one at Safeway one day and very badly wanted that chocolate cake with cherries! I made this one for about $5, but you can probably do it cheaper depending on prices where you live.
You'll need:
  • One box Devil's Food Cake Mix and the ingredients to make it.
  • Two containers Betty Crocker Rich ad Creamy Dark Chocolate Frosting (whipped frosting is too soft, regular chocolate is too sweet)
  • One can of Cherry Pie Filling
Bake the cake as directed into two layers. Cool the layers completely. On the bottom layer build a ring of frosting around the edge. I piped mine on with a pastry bag. You're building a wall to hold in the cherries. If the icing is soft you might pop the cake in the refrigerator before you add the cherries as a middle layer.
Once the cherries are in place carefully place the top layer on top.  Frost the cake. I actually used one and a half cans of frosting.
I kept the cake in the fridge until I served it because I was concerned about the cherries oozing out, but I think it would have been fine. It was yummy too!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails