Sunday, January 15, 2012

Blueberry Muffins

It's -40 out.  The temperature dropped Friday and it's not getting much warmer than -30 for the next week or so.  We're all cooped up and it's just feeling chilly, so I turned to the kitchen.  I have blueberries in the freezer!

As you know I'm a huge fan of my 1975 edition Joy of Cooking, but to me their blueberry muffin recipe doesn't stand out like their banana bread recipe.  They use a basic muffin recipe and add stuff to it, and I've always found their base muffin kind of bland.  AllRecipes bailed me out with a nice blueberry muffin recipe.  Is it really to die for?  While I've yet to meet a muffin for which I'd commit murder these are really very good and will be made again.  Probably tomorrow.
To Die For Blueberry Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.  Makes 8 servings.
I got ten muffins out of the batch - I filled the muffin cups to about 1/4" from the top to leave room for the crumb topping.  They rose up just lovely!  I used a pastry cutter to make the topping and I had twice as much as would fit on the muffins. I saved it for another batch. 

Kiddo also approved of the crumble topping.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails