Saturday, February 26, 2011

Product Review: Carbon Waffles

So after I blogged waffles last week I started getting mysterious Facebook messages from my Uncle Gil about packages and brown trucks.  On Thursday it arrived:  one canister of Carbon's Golden Malted Waffle & Pancake Flour.  Apparently if you're from our neck of Michigan and Indiana it's darn near part of your heritage.  Uncle Gil says "The elder Carbon came up with this a long time ago, it is mainly a commercial product used in food service. A long and interesting story. Started in Buchanan and now headquartered in South Bend. It is a malted waffle flour and yes it is YUM!"  Their website is over here, if you're interested.  

I've never seen this stuff locally, but the price is quite reasonable over on Amazon (yay SuperSaver shipping).  Uncle Gil ordered it drect from the company.  So we gave it a try.  Despite my admonishment to always separate your eggs and fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the batter last, I didn't this time.  Nor did I add my touch of vanilla.  For a proper product review we followed their recipe exactly. 

Note:  This review was unsolicited and uncompensated.  Apparently you have to say that now, even if you're just being spontaneous.
Original Golden Malted Waffles 
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups water
2 cups Golden Malted Flour
4 tbsp. butter, melted

Beat eggs and water together, then add flour and mix well. Stir in melted butter and make sure to mix well again. Ladle onto hot waffle iron and remove when golden brown. Makes 5-6 waffles.  
This made eight four-inch waffles (two batches in my waffle maker) that rose up high and light. They were a beautiful golden color. The malt and cornmeal are subtle, and give the waffles a rich flavor.  Not to mention it's much easier than whipping egg whites pre-coffee!  Thoroughly enjoyable, and I'll be sure to buy this again when we finish the canister Uncle Gil sent me!




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails