Monday, January 10, 2011

Chicken and Rice: One Dish Chicken and Rice Bake

Lately, due to specials and power shopping, we've been eating a lot of chicken and rice.  A lot.  Really, quite a bit.  Needless, I am about sick of chicken and rice.

But you eat what you have, and be thankful you have it.  I naturally turned to the internet for chicken and rice ideas.  I thought I'd do a series of blogs on the chicken and rice recipes that made it into my Big Green Ugly Binder.

Today's recipe is a classic:  Chicken and Rice (surprise!).  This variety is made with cream of mushroom soup, and I've seen baked and stovetop versions using both boneless and bone-in chicken of a variety of cuts.  I like the baked variety and I got the original from the Campbell's Kitchen.
One Dish Chicken and Rice Bake

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 1/3 cup water
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
salt and pepper to taste
4 boneless chicken breast halves
Pyrex Grip-Rite 2-Quart Oblong Baking Dish, Clear
2 qt (9 x 13) baking dish

Stir the soup, water and rice, in a 2-quart shallow  (that's the 9 x 13 one) baking dish. Top with the chicken. Season with pepper and black pepper. Cover the baking dish.

Bake at 375°F. for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.  Serves 4.


You can also stir vegetables into the rice mixture, but you might want to reduce the water by 1/3 cup if you do.  I wish I had a better picture to share, but it didn't stay on anyone's plate long enough!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails