Friday, December 22, 2006

It's Almost Here!

Two days left before Christmas arrives. I can't wait! I've got almost everything wrapped, I have one gift left to bake, I bought some pre-fab shaped Christmas cookies to bake with Kiddo for Santa (Kiddo's attention span fails one cookies once all the ingredients are in the bowl), I have my Christmas music, the house is, well, reasonably clean for having to active kids...

All that's left, really is Christmas morning.

Mom used to make us coffee cake for Christmas morning - a braided, filled yeast bread. The nice thing about a yeast coffee cake is you can get it all ready and leave it in the fridge over night. Now, I don't have her recipe, but there are a couple of recipes I like for thier do-ahead propeties. Whether you just want something easy Christmas morning or you're throwing or attending a brunch, these two are nice.

Make-Ahead Brunch Bake

This one is from Kraft Foods. I have several versions of this in the Ugly Green Binder. The title link is to the original; here's my version.

1 package Stove Top Savory Herbs flavor stuffing
2 cups shredded mozerella cheese
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage
2 cups total chopped onion, mushrooms, and green bell pepper

Mix stuffing, meat, vegetables, and 1 1/2 cups cheese in a 9-inch baking dish. Beat eggs and milk together until well bended. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.

Bake at 375 uncovered for one hour or until center is set. Top with remaining cheese and cook until cheese is melted.


Cheese Filled Coffee Cake

I know I got this off the internet, but my hard copy doesn't have a URL and I can't find the exact recipe linked anywhere. My appologies for not giving credit.

This is a coffee cake with a cheese danish style filling that I found when I was really craving cheese danish last time I was pregnant. Bake it the night before and just slice and serve!

1 package Active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine (do not substitute shortening)

Filling:
2 packages Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Mix yeast, water and sugar and let stand 10 minutes. Mix together flour and salt and cut in butter. Add egg to yeast mixture and add dry ingredients. Mix well. Divide dough in 2 pieces and roll out on a floured surface into two 8 x8 10 in ch rectangles. Mix filling ingredients together and spread down the center of each rectangle. Fold long ends to cover filling, fold sides in. Flip over onto a cookie sheet. Bake immediately at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.



Whole Wheat Waffles


I can't recall if I've shared this recipe before. I like it better than my standard waffle recipe, they seem more flavorful. As usual, the vanilla is my addition! This isn't make-ahead, but it's easy and makes for a special breakfast.

1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 Tablespoons melted shortening
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

Beat egg yolks well; add milk and shortening. Combine salt, sugar, and flour. Add to first mixture. Beat until smooth. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Sift baking powder lightly over the mixture and fold in quickly. Bake in hot waffle iron.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails